Practice reading skills while using a picture as a text! An easy way to increase student engagement. Ideal for Upper Elementary students.
**This resource is a compliment to my Write the Photo resource. They both use the same photographs. Therefore, students can use the same photograph to practice both their reading and writing skills for the day or week. Interested in both resources? Grab the $$$ saving bundle HERE!
This Read the Photo resource is perfect for any reader, especially struggling readers, to practice specific reading skills without trying to navigate a challenging text at the same time.
Why Use Photos to Teach Literacy Skills? Photos Help Students:
- Increase engagement, especially for reluctant readers and writers
- Make connections with other cultures and communities
- Build background knowledge on various topics
- Improve their critical thinking and analyzing skills
- Focus on working through reading and writing skills, rather than getting stuck on comprehending the text
- Teacher Guide
- 20 different standards based Read the Photo pages – four different reading skills per page
- Printable PDF version – includes both color & B/W versions
- Digital Google Slides version to assign on Google Classroom – includes moveable parts for students to manipulate and answer the questions
- Skills At a Glance Chart
- Answer Key
HOW & WHEN TO USE:
- Morning Work
- ELA Centers
- Small Group Instruction
- Early Finishers Work
- Add to a Substitute Binder
- Daily or weekly practice or review
- Test prep
- End of the Year Review
- Distance Learning
- Cause & Effect
- Fact & Opinion
- Main Idea
- Compare & Contrast
- Point of View
- Story Elements
- Character Traits
- Context Clues
- Parts of Speech
If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at
Be sure to follow my:
Copyright © Michele Giannattasio – The Collaborative Class
All rights reserved by author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only. Not for public display.
If you intend to share with others, please purchase an additional license.